Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Reflections on the Weather

I took my coffee onto the back patio yesterday morning to watch for birds. Little drops of rain touched down on the concrete and the glass tabletop and the birdbath and, of course, on my head. There wasn’t enough to drive me inside.

By the time I was ready to leave for the office, the rain had increased so that I had to search for my raincoat. I never found it. Later, I learned that my wife has been taking it to work to keep warm.

When I finally stepped out the front door, water was surging down the gutter and pushing up into the driveway. We live on the slope of a hill, so whenever there is any rain to speak of, a river appears in front of my house. The rain itself was coming down in heavy drops, and I squirreled some paperwork beneath my sweater so I wouldn’t end up with a soggy mess.

There was even lightning and thunder yesterday. We don’t usually get that during our winter storms, but there it was. The thunder was sharp and angry, but the lightning was mostly hidden in the clouds, just the occasional flash.

Rain is relatively rare around here, and we get most of it during the late fall and winter. We needed this rain, even though the downpour was short, because not much has fallen this season. I know the natives I planted a few months ago will love the rain, too. Within a week or two, I’ll see new growth.

Though a little rain came down last night, the storm has largely disappeared, leaving an even gray sky.

I’m happy; I’m satisfied.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the rain, especially a gentle rain. Except here in Los Angeles, where everyone is so afraid of the rain, they crash their cars into each other out of fear.

7:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

here in seattle gray skies are a pretty constant companion. they say it rains a lot here but that's not been my experience so far. today though, beautiful blue sky with crisp air. ahhh, sweet satisfaction.

7:43 PM  
Blogger Lefty said...

neil--sometimes people crash their cars into each other simply for the pure joy of it; my wife got whacked from behind on the 405 a couple of weeks ago, and her car was in the shop for 10 days.

sizzle--I thought blue skies were illegal in Seattle

12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google