Sunday, January 21, 2007

Spammin' in the Free World

As I was deleting a piece of spam, I caught the first two lines. “We have good news and bad news for you. Which one do you want to hear first?”

I always choose the bad news. I want the bad news first simply to reduce the anxiety of the unknown. I prefer to get the bad stuff out of the way first so I can relax and enjoy the good. My assumption is that most people would also choose to hear the bad news first.

Whenever I get the bad news, and it isn't very bad at all, I get a secret thrill. I have escaped. By the same token, however, whenever the good news isn't that great, I am let down. It is a similar feeling to biting down into a cheesecake that looks great, but tastes like crap. Or when the preview for a film is hilarious, but the movie itself stinks.

Later I wondered: perhaps I am an exception. How do I know what others would choose simply based upon my own inner logic?

What would you choose to hear first? And what does that reveal about you?

All that from spam.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google