Thursday, November 02, 2006

And the Whole World Smiles Back

As I drove along yesterday, I saw a high school girl waiting at a bus stop. There was nothing remarkable about her. She wasn’t particularly attractive. Yet she was doing something that made her beautiful. She was smiling.

She was probably just sharing a nice moment with a friend, but the look on her face was one of pure joy, and that made her beautiful. Many times over the last couple of weeks I have noticed that happiness can transform a person’s face.

I considered my own life. I normally wear a rather grim visage. People often assume I’m upset about something even when I’m not. Also, my wife and I have been grumbling at each other a lot lately. Life has thrown us plenty of reasons to frown. I decided that maybe if I were happier, or at least looked happier, then she might see more beauty in me.

I can change that. And so I did.

I had a very difficult day at the office yesterday. Usually after a day like that, I’d come in the door and grumble about all the crap I endured. Instead, when I came home, I forced myself to be cheerful. The first things I did were smile at her, give her a kiss and ask about her day. Damn, if it didn’t work.

I resolve to be a more joyful person from now on. If nothing else, it will make me more beautiful.

Who knew?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google