Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Did Hope Just Rear Its Ugly Head?

Mrs. Lefty started a new job yesterday.

It has been more than 3 months since she quit her old job, and we have been running on fumes. I’m not sure how we made it, but we did. (Okay, yes, I do know how we survived, and that big stack of overdue bills will back me up on that one.) And while having another paycheck coming in will bring some relief, it won’t solve Mrs. Lefty’s serious money problems, nor will it solve my codependent behavior with respect to her massive spending.

Thank God for therapy. And beer.

On a brighter note, I did ask Mrs. Lefty to go with me to a Debtors Anonymous meeting. I think she was pleasantly surprised at the diversity of people and their non-judgmental attitudes. She felt many of the stories there echoed her own feelings and fears, and we will be returning next week.

I’m also pleased at the way I handled Mrs. Lefty’s jobless period. Not once did I get angry or frustrated or suicidal or homicidal or bitter or resentful over the fact that while I went to work every day and stressed out over money she stayed home and took long naps, watched her soap operas, read dozens of books and talked on the phone. Not once.

Did I also say that I’m a pathological liar?

Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Eileen Dover said...

Wow.

You're such a good, good man.

Do you have a clone?

12:53 PM  
Blogger little miss mel said...

Congrats on the new job wifey!

Yes, it is hard to not be on the same page when it comes to working, but I can say being unemployed is a lonely, lonely place, even if you are eating milk duds and watching Days of our Lives

1:05 PM  
Blogger little miss mel said...

Congrats on the new job wifey!

Yes, it is hard to not be on the same page when it comes to working, but I can say being unemployed is a lonely, lonely place, even if you are eating milk duds and watching Days of our Lives

1:05 PM  
Blogger Sizzle said...

"Thank God for therapy. And beer."

man after my own heart.

1:52 PM  
Blogger Lefty said...

dover--I have patented my DNA and have a team working on cloning me as we speak; after all, the world can't get enough Lefty

mel--I wouldn't mind taking a turn at being unemployed for a while!

mel--I wouldn't mind taking a turn at being unemployed for a while!

siz--and now that Mrs. Lefty has a job, I can turn to good beer for a while

2:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm - aren't your kids infringing your patent - or at least one claim? (I'm in the biz, contact me with questions).

Congratulations on once again becoming a double-income home!!

3:55 PM  
Blogger Lefty said...

g--the problem is that those darn kids don't have any assets. I'll wait until they become rich; then I'll sue them.

5:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, am I supposed say yay or what?

1:24 AM  
Blogger SWF42 said...

I hope you at least bought TiVo so she can keep up with her soaps again.

I swear...women have to give up so much for men.

6:24 AM  
Blogger Lefty said...

x-box--"yay" is acceptable

swf--I'm not listening...

8:43 AM  
Blogger g-man said...

Came here via a comment on Sizzle's blog.

Glad that you are on the "road to recovery" long term financially (counseling) and short term financially (New job). My ex and I went through Consumer Credit Counseling. There is light at the end of the tunnel. Keep it up.

11:17 AM  
Blogger g-man said...

P.s. Beer makes the world a better place.

11:18 AM  
Blogger Lefty said...

Thanks for the encouragement, g-man. No relationship to g-dog, I suppose.

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nope, no relation to g-man, or any other federalie.

You are wise to wait till the kids are rich - patent infringement is tort law, not criminal - so all you can try to do is collect damages. Now copyright has a criminal penalty (should you need to get rid of them for a weekend or so as you and the lovely madam lefty decide to enjoy the new found riches and go on a 2nd honeymoon)

4:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fine, ''yay''.

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google