Monday, June 04, 2007

Take This Job and...

My job is people-centered. Every single day I have to talk to people, and what’s worse, listen to people. I have to pay attention to what they need and want and care about. I must work side-by-side with them. I must respond to their fears, frustrations and complaints (and boy, do they have complaints!).

It will surprise no one that I hate people. Actually, that may be too harsh. I am not a people person. I need my space. If I were the last person on earth, I’d say “Finally!” I like to work alone. Coordination, compromise and teamwork are just too much trouble.

On the other hand, despite my severe annoyance at the fact that there are other people on this planet and that I have to work with some of them every day, I love people. Despite myself, I genuinely care about what’s happening in their lives. When things are great, I celebrate with them. When they are lousy, I feel for them.

I often think that I need a new career. I’ve been doing this for nearly 15 years, and I have moments when I’d love to leave it all behind me. But I don’t think I can. There’s something about this job that’s got a hold on me. You might say it’s a calling (whatever that means).

Besides, it’s probably good for me that every day I come to work, the part of me that seeks to avoid other human beings is stretched and exercised. And sometimes--only at a moment when I am working with other people--I really believe in my job, that what I’m doing makes a real difference in this world.

Two things would make my job a whole lot more satisfying, though: more money and a mute button that works on complainers.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Eileen Dover said...

It sounds like you work in HR.

It's another kind of calling.

;)

3:29 PM  
Blogger Lefty said...

Actually, I NEED a good HR person to come fire all my difficult employees. You need a job? Pays terribly. Poor benefits. But, on the plus side, you get to fire people.

4:36 PM  
Blogger Bre said...

See as for myself I need to be around people. Who else would admire my shoes?

5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two things that would make most (if not ALL) jobs a lot more satisfying are: more money and a mute button on complainers.

5:39 PM  
Blogger Lefty said...

bre--don't we already do that for you everyday? Your shoes are FABULOUS, bre, and after all, you can never have too much fabulous.

8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google