Monday, February 26, 2007

Guess Who Is Ranting and Raving Again

There are some days (like today), when I wonder “what in the world am I doing here?” This isn’t a metaphysical question, but a work-related one. What the hell am I doing in this job?

Yes, there are some upsides to the job. Earning money to buy food and thus avoiding starvation comes to mind. Though the pay isn’t particularly good, the benefits are exceptional. I have job security. I am very low on the list with the title “People to Fire When the Going Gets Tough.” Those are all great things to have, especially when the one thing my wife doesn’t have right now is a job.

Some days, however, the downsides seem overwhelming. High on that list is the fact that I work with a pack of slobbering, underachieving lunatics. I feel as if nothing will get done with a high level of precision and quality unless I do it. Some things won’t get done at all. And it is clearly not good for the company if I am doing things like changing light bulbs because the custodian is afraid of heights. (I’m not making that up, folks.)

Part of the reason I work with people who can’t (or won’t) do their jobs is that I am a poor people manager. I don’t particularly like people in the first place, and my attitude toward the employees I supervise is that they should do their damn jobs and leave me alone so I can do mine. Unfortunately, they don’t want to do their own work, and I’m the one that has to ride their butts if they don’t perform.

The best solution would be to fire the biggest idiots and hire other people who will work. The firing part is proving to be a hassle because our human resources advisor wants to be sure we jump through all the right hoops so we won’t get sued. The hiring part is also problematic because we can’t afford to hire good people, just ones who will work for low pay because they are not good enough to get a better job somewhere else.

What to do? I’ve considered jumping out of my office window. That isn’t an effective solution either, because my office is on the ground floor and I’d probably just sprain my ankle.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger little miss mel said...

and that is why I do not work in an office. Working with a 2 yr old sometimes reminds me of those days...

5:14 PM  
Blogger LVGurl said...

What do you do for a living? Just curious.

7:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,if you have not watched the movie 'Office Space'(''it sounds like you got a case of the mondays'') , you should(it is very funny), you might get a really kick out of it :)

8:22 PM  
Blogger Sturdy Girl said...

You have explained exactly why I hate managing others. I really hate people, and I don't have time to "manage" them (translation do their jobs) and do my own job. PS firing them is ok, but hiring people who will work? hey if that works for you, let me know your secret.

4:31 AM  
Blogger Sizzle said...

don't jump! has new meaning here because it'd likely just be embarrassing more than anything.

i want to get paid to just be myself. why can't i find that job?

6:57 AM  
Blogger Lefty said...

mel--actually, if I think I'd be better off if I were working with 2-year-olds.

lv--If I told you, I'd have to kill you. And, unfortunately, I do not have a job in which I can kill people.

xbox--That is a great movie; laughed my tail off.

monkey--No secrets here, only miserable failures.

siz--Try looking on craigslist. I heard that worked well for you in the past.

10:35 AM  
Blogger SWF42 said...

You're missing the bright side of the jumping thing -- you'd get a few days off if you sprained your ankle.

You're welcome!

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh,another movie you might like is called 'Brazil' (not really a comedy).

7:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google