Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Night at the Hospital

I’ve just come back from spending five hours with my wife at the hospital. She’s not in bad shape, just in there overnight for observation.

She called me from work as I was preparing to leave the house this morning and said she was in the Emergency Room. Her blood pressure was really high, and her boss didn’t want to take any chances.

The inconvenient fact (other than the obvious), is that her work is an hour away from home during good traffic, and three hours during bad traffic. It was good traffic this afternoon as I took middle daughter down to see her.

I wasn’t ever worried. She goes in to Emergency about four to six times every year, and this is the first time in our six years of marriage they’ve kept her overnight. She has lots of strange aches and pains—some she says are severe—that seem to be related to stress and anxiety. The frustrating thing is that the doctors can’t ever tell us what’s wrong.

No need for me to worry today, and I didn’t. But I did surprise myself. When it was time to leave my wife at the hospital a long way from home, I felt more angst at parting than I expected. We’ve been apart before, but never because she’s been in the hospital. I consider myself a tough guy, not prone to emotion, but tonight…

Since she’ll still be there for part of the day tomorrow, including a stress test, I’ll try to do something to make the latter part of her Valentine’s Day special. I’m thinking I’ll get her beer. What do you think?

7 Comments:

Blogger Bre said...

If I was in the hospital overnight away from my family I'd absolutely need a beer... or some expensive shoes.

4:15 AM  
Blogger The Retropolitan said...

Everyone likes beer!

Speaking of which, my back sort of hurts... this dull kind of sharp pain. Think you could spring for a six-pack?

10:26 AM  
Blogger LVGurl said...

I really hope your wife is doing okay. I also hope the doctors can find out what has been ailing her.

I'd want a gin and tonic, myself.

2:13 PM  
Blogger 180360 said...

I hope they can find out what is going on with your wife. I'd for go the beer and bring something decent to eat :)

3:12 PM  
Blogger little miss mel said...

corona for me. maybe breakfast in bed this weekend to make up for a hospital valentine's day?

Hope she is doing better.

6:10 PM  
Blogger Sizzle said...

oh lefty, i hope she is home and feeling better.

a beer? you're such a guy. ha ha. how about you drink a beer and you give her a nice foot rub or something? ;)

8:53 PM  
Blogger Lefty said...

Thanks for all the well wishes. My wife is back at home, still feeling a little groggy from all the meds and two days in bed. She's off today, and then back to work tomorrow.

bre--fortunately, my wife only wears shoes when she absolutely has to, and not the expensive kind

retro--sorry; I already drank the beer. You can have the empty bottles, though.

lv--the doctors never have an answer; I've resigned myself to that.

180--I did get cottage cheese, applesauce and juice at her request.

mel--breakfast in bed seems like a lot of work. Who should I ask to do that?

siz--I did drink the beer; she doesn't like beer. And I did try to take care of her last night.

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google