Friday, February 09, 2007

My House: Conniption Fit Central

It bugs the hell out of me when my kids leave lights on all over the house. So, like every other curmudgeonly father in history, I spend my time at home running around flipping switches because it’s easier than calling out every 8 seconds, “Turn that light off!”

These children—and I wish I knew who raised the buggers so poorly—will turn on the hall light when walking from the kitchen to the bedroom, and the bedroom door is directly across the hall from the kitchen. Three feet. And they need a light.

Recently, I watched my daughter walk down the hall to the family room, look inside to see that no one was in there, turn on the light, and then immediately walk away. What, the television needs the light on?!

Sigh.

6 Comments:

Blogger Malnurtured Snay said...

I like living by myself and being able to turn on all the lights and leave 'em on.

"I turned it on because it was there!"

12:21 PM  
Blogger Bre said...

I'm 24 and I still do that stuff when I visit my parents... they have long since stopped fighting, my brother, sister, and I outnumber them.

4:26 PM  
Blogger LVGurl said...

So this is what I can look forward to?

4:58 PM  
Blogger The Retropolitan said...

Pick up some Compact Fluorescent bulbs. They look just like incandescent lights, but only use about 25% the power. Because I'm pretty sure the "FOR THE LOVE OF GOD TURN OFF THE LIGHTS" side of the battle never won.

7:45 AM  
Blogger Sizzle said...

i'm always turning lights off- and i live alone. hmmm, odd? ;)

9:35 AM  
Blogger Lefty said...

mal--How impulsive of you; sounds a lot like my middle daughter!

bre--I'll never stop fighting, even though I'm outnumbered. Give me darkness or give me death!

lv--This and SO MUCH more.

retro--Funny, I just heard an NPR story about CFL bulbs and was thinking I should get some. I'll do a post on that soon.

sizzle--Not odd, just proof positive of some terrible, incurable neurosis.

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google