Thursday, April 12, 2007

Just Phoning It in Today

First, some important background information: I do not own a cell phone. I hate cell phones. They are evil.

I was checking out our bill last night, and saw that the girls use their phones a lot. My wife has a cell phone, and I didn’t like that idea in the first place, but she’s an adult, so what can you do? Part of the issue was cost, since we can’t afford many luxuries, and part of the issue was that cell phones are evil.

Later, without telling me--without even consulting me--she purchased additional phones and a plan that would accommodate our two girls and my daughter’s best friend. Yes, that’s right. We are paying for the cell phone use of someone not even in our family. In theory, that young lady is supposed to be giving us money to cover the cost of her bill, but in reality, she has only given us a small portion of that cost. Did I mention that we cannot afford many luxuries? And, did I mention that cell phones are evil?

I decided I’d crunch some numbers on the bill for our middle daughter just to see how much she was on her phone. Do you want to make a guess as to how much time she is on that damn phone every single day, not including texting? Nearly two hours. Every single day. For the most recent billing period, that works out to nearly two-and-a-half full days of talking on her cell phone. That does not include time spent talking on the house phone or on My Space. No wonder she’s flunking English. Did I mention that cell phones are evil?

Since the girls aren’t mine biologically, and since my wife prefers to handle it however the hell she wants, regardless of what I think, I wash my hands of the matter. That’s also why we now have completely separate bank accounts.

Do I sound a little bitter here? Sorry, but I am bitter.

And cell phones are evil.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Eileen Dover said...

Yeah, separate bank accounts, but you guys are still married.

That means...

If she f***s up all her bills and goes under, you go under too.

4:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think one of the world records for cell phone{I think} chit-chat is 17 hours or so straight, held by my father, while talking to some weirdo he had to talk to.
ps. I'll again recomemend watching Brazil(1985), you might like it.

6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband & I also have separate bank accounts. Some people do 3 accounts - yours, mine, and ours. That never worked for us - he would never chip in for "ours" - so I handled all the joint bills for a long time - yes, I am still bitter, and married....

Good luck - $$$ is one of the top two deal-breakers/benders/irritants in marriage.

Weren't you recently lamenting that you aren't nice enough to your wife? These various frustrations build and stand in the way of making nice...

6:47 PM  
Blogger Lefty said...

dover--you're not helping things!

xbox--I didn't know men could talk that long.

g-dog--you sure had me puzzled; all this time I thought you were a man!

8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google