Tuesday, June 05, 2007

C

This is my 100th post. I know I'm supposed to prepare something special, such as "100 Facts about Lefty's Bodily Functions" or some other wildly interesting post.

For my part, in honor of my 100th post, I'm going to go drink 100 beers. I encourage you to join me (not in my actual location, of course, but in the act of drinking 100 beers). If you live in Japan (I'm looking at you, Bre), you can drink sake, or if you live in the south of France (lvgurl), then you can drink wine. If you are not of legal drinking age in your locale, then have 100 tall glasses of cold milk.

I have also decided to post a handful of interesting facts about the number 100:

The number 100 is the smallest square which is also the sum of consecutive cubes.

The Boston Beaneaters were the first National League team to win at least 100 games in a season. They won 102 in the split season of 1892.

Polish Draughts is played on a board with 100 squares.

At least 100 times a day, I turn a light off after my kids have left it on.

The 1969 western film 100 Rifles starred Burt Reynolds, Raquel Welch and Jim Brown.

On the Celsius scale, the boiling point of water is 100 degrees.

The Philadelphia Athletics became the first American League team to win at least 100 games in a season when they won 102 in 1910.

In the year 100 AD, Buddhist texts were first translated into Chinese.

I have fantasies about killing my secretary 100 times every week.

In the game of cricket, scoring 100 runs (called a “century“) is a major feat for a batsman, but to be out at 99 is a significant failure.

The number 100 in Finnish is sata.

It is estimated there were 180,000 people worldwide who were 100 years old or older in the year 2000.

I found all these on the Internet, so you know they're true!

Happy 100 Day.

Labels: , ,

20 Comments:

Blogger g-man said...

Happy 100. I'll join you in spirit on the beer front. (I may be using a multiplication scaling factor to make it to 100)

11:48 AM  
Blogger Sizzle said...

(tossing confetti in the air)

congratulations on making it to 100.

now where is my beer?

12:48 PM  
Blogger Lefty said...

g-man--don't forget, if you can't get enough beer down your gullet, you can go with milk

siz--don't forget: I'm a cheap bastard. This site is BYOB.

2:15 PM  
Blogger little miss mel said...

Happy 100th!

I put in a major effort last weekend on the drinking 100 beers, but I am a cheap drunk these days, so I probably failed miserably compared to your efforts.

2:21 PM  
Blogger Bre said...

Darn, I left the Sake in Japan... but now that I'm outside Philly and have a birthday within the next two weeks, I'm thinking that I can get to the 100 beer mark :-p

2:27 PM  
Blogger Lefty said...

mel--keep it up; you can't give up now.

bre--a birthday, eh? I think you ought to buy us all a beer to celebrate.

3:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations - I suppose we need to post 100 comments for your 100th post! Well, maybe 100 words in comments...

I will help with the beer, although I will have to do mine in base 2... I have to go to work tomorrow..

5:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll drink 100 cap-fulls* of Baileys Irish cream liqueur rather than 100 beers since I prefer it and I am 1/3 Irish.

*cap-fulls because Irish cream's alcohol content is 17% compared to beer's 4%.

6:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and Happy 100 Day Lefty.

6:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy 100 Lefty! I'm allergic to beer and think I would run out of cookies before I got to my 100th glass of milk, but I will find a suitable beverage to salute you and your blog. Perhaps lemonade? Whiskey? I will keep you posted.

7:59 PM  
Blogger Jennifer McKenzie said...

If I drank 100 shots of whiskey, I'd be in jail and unable to celebrate such a fabulous milestone.
Was the fact that you turn the lights off 100 times and you want to kill your secretary 100 times a day really on the internet?
That's a little freaky. LOL.

6:44 AM  
Blogger SWF42 said...

Well, crap. Now I'm depressed that I didn't do something wonderful for my 100th post.

You always have all the fun! *insert whiney tone here*

:-)

So, what's the outline for post 200?

6:51 AM  
Blogger Bre said...

I'll buy one for everyone! And then since none of you are especially local I'll drink them for everyone too.

7:32 AM  
Blogger Lefty said...

g-dog--you weren't close to 100 words there...

xbox--my cap is size 7 1/8; that could hold a LOT of Bailey's

brandy--could be lemonade AND whiskey; or how about brandy?

jen mck--you may prefer to stay out of jail this time.

It's also QUITE scary the kinds of facts I discovered about myself on the Internet.

swf--200 reasons why the Pac 10 rules the SEC?

bre--I expect you to deliver.

8:04 AM  
Blogger SWF42 said...

Please. You couldn't come up with TWO reasons for that one.


:-D

8:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would have though that swf41 would have celebrated with a 100 orgasms!

previous post - 42 words, closer than I would have thought just but glancing at it.


Still working on my 100 celebratory beers - even in binary!

5:05 PM  
Blogger Lefty said...

g-dog--I just hope swf doesn't tell us about it.

I'm only up to 2 myself. I'll probably only get one more tonight. *sigh*

6:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had three beers tonight after work with friends - I think that is 11 in binary - and I only need 1 more!

Man, it is so hard to remember this stuff!

8:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew you were going to say something like that.

Yes sir , I'd be very dead and probably broke {the stuff is a bit expensive} if I tried to drink a 100 using your cap.

11:23 PM  
Blogger KELSO'S NUTS said...

100 Runs in cricket is also called a "Ton-Up" and anyone who told you 99 runs is a failure, is a failure.

$100 is a Honeybee, Cien, a C-Note or a Charlie, $100 of which passed through me in celebration of your 100th post because I have given up alcohol in favor of hot cocoa, soda and tea. When I drank, I liked the Big Bird, which -- sad to say -- is 101 proof.

100 is the nicest perfect square. A 100 IQ is the world's average. The qualification to have been a Bush Pioneer was to have give at least $100,000...and on that C-note, I depart.

6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google