Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Working 9 to 5...or Thereabouts

I review the hourly employees’ timecards every Monday. We do not have a time clock, so the times are filled in by hand.

Here’s the conversation I had with my secretary this morning.

Me: Are the hours you filled in for Friday correct?

Secretary: Yes.

Normally, I am not in the office on Friday afternoons, and so I cannot observe whether or not she is in the office. Guess what: last Friday, I was in the office for a short time.

Me: I was here from 2:45 to about 3:15. I didn’t see you here. When I left, I locked up your computer and the copy room. They were still locked when I arrived Sunday.

I work on Sunday, but the secretary doesn’t, and she almost never locks her computer or the copy room.

S: I was here. Maybe I took my lunch at a different time, but that’s when I thought I took lunch.

She had marked her lunch as 1:30-2:30pm.

Me: When it comes to your timecard, you can’t think you’ve got it right. You must fill it out accurately.

She was lying through her teeth.

Additional note: my e-mail inbox has 666 messages. Could that mean anything?

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger little miss mel said...

nice catch!

I could have been caught so many times. What is it about feeling the need to skip out early when the boss is out. Man it's like a drug.

Now what?

12:21 PM  
Blogger Eileen Dover said...

You're mean.

2:39 PM  
Blogger Lefty said...

mel--since she gave a semi-plausible excuse that could explain why I didn't see her, I'll merely put a note re: my observation and her explanation in her file, and I'll watch her more carefully. Part of me wishes I could fire her right now, but I don't have that authority. I could only recommend it.

dover--I'm mean because I'm pissed with my secretary for lying to me and essentially stealing money from the company? Or I'm mean because of the 666? Or both?

3:49 PM  
Blogger Sizzle said...

i think it means you are evil.

she was SO lying.

7:03 PM  
Blogger LVGurl said...

I don't think you're being mean. In fact, there are few people that would address that situation directly. You did a good thing.

In re: to your email messages...I think the devil is trying to tell you to clean out your inbox.

8:24 PM  
Blogger Bre said...

It could mean that it's time to go crazy with inbox sorting!

As for your secretary, I'd say she's lying through her teeth... maybe you should install a "nanny cam" just for the heck of it :-p

7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google