Thursday, July 19, 2007

Remembering the Old Stomping Grounds

Long Relief has been silent for several days because Mrs. Lefty and I took a mini vacation. She had a couple days off, so we drove to my hometown (somewhere west of the Rockies, and north of Mexico but south of Canada) to relax for a couple of days.

I am always glad to return to my old home. The visits remind me that I am a hick at heart. The drive takes only about 5 hours from where we live now, but the journey takes you a hundred years into the past, to a place where names like “Jawbone Canyon,” “Fossil Falls” and “No Name” are still in style, where you can’t find a Starbucks, and where the opening days of the fishing and deer hunting seasons are more important than Christmas.

I take pride in being a backwater hick. It gives me an opportunity to look down my nose at people whose scrambled eggs always came from the grocery store rather than the chicken house out back, or who simply hook up to the Springfield Nuclear Power Plant for their winter heat rather than cutting and hauling wood for the stove. Of course, I can’t be too critical of people who live the soft city life, because that’s my life now.

But it is always nice to get back to the hometown and remember those times that--in my memory, at least--seemed so much more simple and pure. On the other hand, there was a lot more animal shit to clean up.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger little miss mel said...

I did not grow up on a farm, by any means, but being raised in oklahoma is not like california.

We had to make our our entertainment. The beaches and the mountains didn't do it for us.

Is it wrong that most of our evenings were spent revolved around alcohol and sheer boredom?

4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

with carefully selected pets - you can have the best/worst of both worlds - the complicated soft life with lots of animal shit (free urine with every purchase!) Call now, operators are standing by.

4:58 PM  
Blogger Bre said...

"Who says you can't go home?"

I'm a homebody in general - coming home is one of the greatest feelings out there!

5:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

g-dog he hee heh......

I get the "I want to live like a hick, or something a long those lines" out of me by somewhat frequently going off alone in the forest for a few days at a time.

5:29 PM  
Blogger Jennifer McKenzie said...

I AM that hick (minus the chickens. I think the pack of hounds we own makes up for it).
We live in suburbia, but we still cut our own wood and refuse to turn the heater on. We have a dead boat on a broken trailer in the carport and our Christmas lights are still up.
Deer season is HUGE in our house (as is duck season, fishing and clamming).
Having grown up in Napa, it was a bit of an adjustment.
I go home and all I see is my childhood being wiped away.
But that's a whole other topic.

7:10 PM  
Blogger Lefty said...

mel--but you, of course, never included the alcohol until you were 21, right?

g-dog--I have neighbors with cats, so I do get a fair measure of animal crap as it is; weeding in my garden is always an adventure

bre--it is a nice feeling; as long as I can feel like the king of the castle

xbox--do you bring a generator, or does the xbox stay at home

jen mck--move that dead boat out to the front lawn and you'll be set

9:14 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

I can think of worse places to go back to. The town I was born in is now the "projects" for a large neighboring city. Not exactly a good vacation spot. ;)

11:46 AM  
Blogger Lefty said...

It is a great place to go back to, tink. Not only is it quiet and relaxing, but it is in one of the most beautiful spots on the continent. Plus, no hurricanes!

1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooh, cats LOVE gardens, nice of you to loosen up the soil in their kitty box, and put in nice plants for them to look at, etc.

I hope you don't have a sandbox...

4:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unfortunately the ol' xbox has to home.

5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google