Saturday, July 07, 2007

Yo Ho, Yo Ho, an Invalid's Life for Me

It is time for me to admit it. I'm getting old.

First I noticed a stray gray hair or two around my temples. Then, there was the slight leaning forward when I looked across the room to read something. And the others simply assuming I'd be on the "old guys" team when we played a basketball game of old guys vs. young guys.

For a few years I've had what I call this minor back thing. It's MINOR, I tell you. Just a tad bit of soreness now and again. Okay, sure, so the minor soreness occasionally made it nearly impossible to get out of bed. But it's nothing, really.

Now I'm ready to give. "Uncle," I cry.

I have to work today, and since I played basketball Thursday night and hauled a garage-full load of beer bottles to the recycling place yesterday, I have some minor back soreness. I've been walking around the place doing my very best to pretend my body is acting normally. I'm walking as upright as possible, just hoping no one will notice I'm bent forward because I can't straighten my back all the way. I mask the grimace on my face due to a sudden jolt of pain by pretending it's a broad smile. I turn the groan of pain into an impromptu sea shanty: "Aaaargh ho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me."

But it's time to give up. Life, you win. I'm getting old.

I'm also going to the drug store at the first opportunity to get some medicine for back pain.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband likes those Icy Hot self-sticking pads. And Ibuprofen is great for muscle soreness, and you can take it before the activity and lessen the severity of the soreness.

If it is less embarassing - you could pretend you are hunched forward because the zipper gremlin(s) struck again

7:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well my dad, when he was in his 40's frequently had bad back pain but now that he is older [age 60] and presumably doing healthy things, he doesn't really get back pain anymore, even though he has been doing quite a bit of physical stuff lately.

So anyway, just because you are getting a bit old in years doesn't mean that you have to let youself turn in to a weak old geezer just yet--if you were 80 it might be another matter .

11:27 PM  
Blogger Sizzle said...

old is just an attitude. our bodies do betray us though. the bastards! get some pills to pop and you'll be good as new.

9:43 AM  
Blogger Bre said...

You may get old... but the good news is that you can stay immature. :-p

6:55 PM  
Blogger SWF42 said...

....getting in the 'getting old but staying immature' line....

:-)

7:26 AM  
Blogger g-man said...

My pain cry is "Iiiiiii love a parade!" At least you can still play basketball and haul bottles around. I'm thankful that generally whatever back pain I feel in the morning is gone by the time I get to work. Getting old-er sucks.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

I threw my shoulder out not that long ago. I was so pissed, that I screwed it up even more my pumping my hand in the air and yelling, "I'm too young to be crippled!" Hoop thought it was funny, even if he realized HE'D be the one applying the ice later.

10:50 AM  
Blogger Jennifer McKenzie said...

Yeah, thanks for reminding me. Getting old bites.

3:59 PM  
Blogger Lefty said...

Actually, I'm disappointed in all of you. I expected more mocking of my misery.

g-dog--I think I'll try that zipper thing.

xbox--I do hope I'll finally get through this once and for all soon. I just need to take better care of myself on a regular basis.

siz--I do feel so abused by my body.

bre--you're all heart.

swf--at least I don't drunk blog.

g-man--"I love a parade" doesn't seem quite manly enough. Not that I'm casting aspersions...

tink--if I laughed at Mrs. Lefty when she got hurt, I'D be the one hurting. And it wouldn't be my back.

jen mck--at least I got a couple of days off from work as compensation.

8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google