Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Setting the Record Straight

My middle daughter said, somewhat tauntingly, “Your crying movie is on.”

I knew immediately what she meant. You see, several years ago, I took my kids to see the movie Brother Bear. It is a nice story, but somewhere near the end, a flying piece of extra salty popcorn lodged in my eye. Before I got it out, there may have been the slightest dampness in my eye, caused, of course, by the salt.

Somehow, my daughter figured I had become overwhelmed with emotion and actually shed a tear. She’s never let me forget it.

Now, I will freely admit that in Field of Dreams, when Doc forever gives up his dream of playing baseball by stepping off the magical field to help the girl choking on a hot dog, I sobbed like a baby. When, in The Natural, Robert Redford slammed the big home run and chose his first love over the glitzy city girl, I wept for days. And in Bang the Drum Slowly, when the beloved catcher died of cancer (?), I was inconsolable.

But Brother Bear? Nah. It was popcorn, I tell you.

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Have the T-shirt said...

Aw Lefty, what you need to realize is women really do LOVE a man who can shed a tear or two at appropriate moments.

When a chick backs into your sports car is NOT an appropriate moment btw :P

11:41 AM  
Blogger Sizzle said...

i don't believe you.

2:08 PM  
Blogger Bre said...

I don't believe that for one second.

Also, what is it with boys and baseball?!

2:36 PM  
Blogger Sturdy Girl said...

ha. You were SO crying.

3:57 PM  
Blogger Lefty said...

t-shirt--no, that's what women SAY they love; not true.

siz and bre--why would I lie?

monkey--oh yeah? well, you...um...it's just that...oh hell, I have nothing to say.

4:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

damn popcorn!

4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I KNEW it! You are a SOFTY!

But your vulnerable moments are well-chosen.

6:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe you.

I've only cried once, when I was ~10, while watching a movie, called 'The Seventh Sign'.

12:17 AM  
Blogger Guilty Secret said...

Oh man, Field of Dreams - best film ever! (blogger's hyperbole is taking over...)

8:12 AM  
Blogger Lefty said...

g-dog and xbox--THANK YOU. Finally, someone is defending me around here.

lv--you've been gone for weeks and when you come back it's to call me names?!

guilty--that may not be hyperbole, but simple truth.

11:07 AM  
Blogger little miss mel said...

I started tearing up over a Mickey Mantle bio on HBO last night. It's tiring to be this emotional.

Kudos to you and your sea salt.

2:19 PM  
Blogger Tink said...

Hoop's wet-eye movie is "Overboard."

I shit you not.

I bawled like a baby at "Flubber." That's not something I admit to just anyone.

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google