Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Books Aren't Just for Throwing Anymore

Reading is sacred to me. I do it as much and as often as I can. The following books and authors have been particularly nourishing to me over the years.
  • For Whom the Bell Tolls, Ernest Hemingway--this is perhaps my most favorite book.
  • Trumpet of the Swan, E. B. White--I read this as a boy and fell in love with it.
  • Patrick O’Brian’s Aubrey-Maturin novels--these inspired the movie Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World. He may be the best novelist of the modern era.
  • Roger Angell’s baseball books--if you love baseball, you’ll love these nonfiction books. He is E. B. White’s stepson.
  • Douglas Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy may not be great literature, but the books are damn funny. The movie didn't do it justice.
  • The Iliad/The Odyssey, Homer--I thought I’d be bored stiff, but figured I should read them anyway. Instead, I was engrossed from start to finish.
  • Jennifer Roberson has written a number of historical novels and fantasy series. She should be much more well known.

What are your favorites?

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger The Retropolitan said...

I love anything by Raymond Chandler. And Rex Stout. And Walter B. Gibson's Shadow pulps. And everything by Robert Benchley.

3:11 PM  
Blogger Bre said...

Have you read "Last Chance to See" by Adams? It's one of my favorites and it's just so FREAKING good that I read it about once a year. Seriously. Awesome.

Other than that, I'm a classical lit addict... Faulkner, Joyce, etc.

4:56 PM  
Blogger Ellen Clair Lamb said...

Reynolds Price's KATE VAIDEN saved my life, and that's not an exaggeration. THE DEPTFORD TRILOGY, by Robertson Davies, helped me make sense of many things that hadn't made sense before, and I reread Walker Percy's THE MOVIEGOER at least once a year.

I've read A.S. Byatt's POSSESSION at least ten times, and still own my childhood copy of Frances Hodgson Burnett's A LITTLE PRINCESS.

And if I could have only one book to read for the rest of my life, it would be THE HOUSE OF MIRTH, by Edith Wharton.

6:48 PM  
Blogger LVGurl said...

My inner geek loves The Odyssey. And War and Peace.

I'm really into this author Jackson Tippett McCrae. Bark of the Dogwood is one of my current favorites. There are a couple scenes that are vile and I don't get why the author "went there," but McCrae's writing is fantastic and I laughed myself to tears. Check it!!


I'm getting really concerned about your Google ads. I'm currently looking at "How to Catch a Cheater," "Wife Having an Affair," and "Dating Married People."

7:21 PM  
Blogger brandy said...

Man. This is like choosing a favourite child. Or a favourite pair of shoes. I will narrow it to five..

- A Confederacy of Dunces
- Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
- A short history of nearly everything (Bill Bryson makes me swoon)
- The Great Gatsby
- Bel Canto

6:42 AM  
Blogger Lefty said...

Thanks for these. I'll have to try some of them on for size.

bre--I'll try LAST CHANCE...

LV--I think the fact that I've written so much about my wife and used the word "lying" in the post about my secretary triggered the ads.

Also, GET TO WORK ON THAT PAPER!

brandy--for whatever reason, THE GREAT GATSBY never did it for me.

12:46 PM  
Blogger little miss mel said...

um, I like to read Nicolas Sparks books, so I would assume we don't have the same taste. :)

Hey, I am reading, aren't I?

3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google