Reading is sacred to me. I do it as much and as often as I can. The following books and authors have been particularly nourishing to me over the years.
- For Whom the Bell Tolls, Ernest Hemingway--this is perhaps my most favorite book.
- Trumpet of the Swan, E. B. White--I read this as a boy and fell in love with it.
- Patrick O’Brian’s Aubrey-Maturin novels--these inspired the movie Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World. He may be the best novelist of the modern era.
- Roger Angell’s baseball books--if you love baseball, you’ll love these nonfiction books. He is E. B. White’s stepson.
- Douglas Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy may not be great literature, but the books are damn funny. The movie didn't do it justice.
- The Iliad/The Odyssey, Homer--I thought I’d be bored stiff, but figured I should read them anyway. Instead, I was engrossed from start to finish.
- Jennifer Roberson has written a number of historical novels and fantasy series. She should be much more well known.
What are your favorites?
Labels: books, lefty