Thursday, August 09, 2007

The Good Stuff

A few things that make life worth living:
  • real whipped cream
  • Patrick O’Brian’s Aubrey/Maturin books
  • baseball (And I don’t mean money-grubbing, steroid-stoked Major League baseball, but baseball. You know, playing catch with a ball that fits the human hand perfectly. The smack of the ball into leather. The crack of ball against wooden bat. The crunch of dirt beneath spikes. What W. P. Kinsella calls “the thrill of the grass.” Winning the World Series in the back yard with your best friend as your catcher. Chasing down a fly ball in the gap. Playing catch with your son beneath a deep blue sky in the early days of Spring. That baseball.)
  • Mrs. Lefty’s meatloaf.
  • sheer silence
  • beer (duh)
  • the cool side of the pillow
  • the shade of my olive tree
  • that thing that Mrs. Lefty does (for me to know and you never to find out)
  • buttermilk pancakes

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so with you on the real whipped cream thing! I detest Cool Whip.

I'm working on a tribute post to Hank Aaron! I need input from my husband, since he has an autographed Hank Aaron card with a heartwarming story behind it. Anyway, I hope you like it (once I post it...)

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's the little things that can make all the difference.
I'd add pets to your list. And lemon, bacon, and a really good cup of coffee.... (not necessarily all together)

Enjoy!

1:20 PM  
Blogger Bre said...

I just made whipped cream this afternoon for my ice cream social tonight! I went a bit crazy with flavors, but the basic real stuff is there too!

1:26 PM  
Blogger Lefty said...

lv--I'll look forward to reading your Aaron piece

g-dog--I love a good lemon meringue pie; bacon and coffee could have very easily been on the list. Now I'm hungry.

bre--will the social be in one of the dorms...er...residence halls?

3:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh 'the cool side of the pillow'. I couldn't agree more. I like this list. I like it a lot. In fact, I like it so much I think I'm going to do my own.

9:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha good one, I've made my pillow and bed sheets nice'n chilly by sticking them in the freezer for a couple of minutes.

10:10 PM  
Blogger Sizzle said...

now i want pancakes.

7:57 AM  
Blogger Tawnya Shields said...

Those are great things indeed! I am with you 100% on the baseball thing. What a travesity sports has become. Don't even get me started on Barry Bonds. If my husband is watching ESPN and I hear his name I go into a real hissy. :o)

9:46 AM  
Blogger Lefty said...

brandy--you can make the royalty check out to "Lefty."

xbox--that may be a little TOO cool.

siz--I make the best pancakes ever.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Lefty said...

ts--unfortunately, it's not just baseball, nor is it just the professional ranks; college sports has become nearly as bad

9:48 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

Oh man, I LOVE the cool side of the pillow. Sometimes, in the middle of the night, I'll push Hoop off of mine, along with the various limbs from both dogs (still attached of course) and flip it over just to enjoy that moment of chilly goodness all to myself.

7:08 PM  
Blogger little miss mel said...

ooo, i make a mean meatloaf.

i can actually handle cool whip....

3:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google